Following the recent changes introduced to immigration policy, the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, the Honourable Diane Finley is conducting a cross-Canada consultation to receive input from provincial and territorial officials, stakeholders and the public on how the changes should be implemented.
The changes will, according to the federal government, “reduce wait times so that families are reunited faster and skilled workers arrive sooner“. The consultation has 3 components:
1. The Department will meet with the provinces and territories on the following dates:
- July 7 ~ St. John’s NF & Labrador
- July 9 ~ Halifax NS
- July 10 ~ Fredericton NB
- July 11 ~ Charlottetown PE
- July 16 ~ Edmonton AB
- July 17 & 18 ~ Winnipeg MB and SK
- July 21 & 22 ~ Toronto ON
- TBD ~ The Territories.
2. A national roundtable of stakeholders will be held on August 15 (by invitation only).
3. The public can participate by completing an online survey. The survey instructions include a request to confine comments in response to the questions posed. There are no questions about immigrant children or families or the family reunification aspect of Canada’s immigration policy.